JOHN C. MAJORS
Read Pastor John’s weekly updates and other blog posts here.
John Majors has been the Senior Pastor at Valley View since November of 2021. Before coming to Valley View he served full time in ministry for twenty-three years as an evangelist, in student ministry, as a ministry assistant, as a missionary, and as a leader at the executive level of an international para-church ministry. He has led large ministry teams, spoken extensively in churches, conferences, men’s retreats, and student events, and taught seminary level courses.
He and Julie have taught on marriage and family at Weekend To Remember Conferences. Most recently, John served with Global Service Network and Seeds Family Worship writing, speaking, and developing family discipleship programs for families and churches to use in the home to learn God’s Word together. John graduated from Phoenix Seminary in 2008 with a Master of Divinity with Highest Honors where he was mentored by Dr. Wayne Grudem, theologian and author of many books, most notably Systematic Theology.
John grew up at Valley View, and is honored to serve a church that has meant so much to him. He attended Male High School (go Bulldogs), graduated from the University of Louisville (go Cards!) with a B.S. and Masters of Engineering, served in ministry on the campus of UofL, and considers south Louisville home. And just to help keep life interesting, he married Julie, a UK grad!
John and Julie met during college and married in 1999. They joined the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ (Cru) where they served until 2019. They have three children and live just minutes from the church. John’s hobbies are reading and mountain biking. Julie enjoys cooking and teaching others about food and nutrition.
Read John’s description of how God led his family back to Valley View.
“For the last ten years, equipping parents with Christ-centered resources has been a huge burden of ours. On June 20th, 2021, while sitting in the church we were attending in Little Rock, I became overwhelmed with gratitude for being a part of a church that gives such a huge emphasis to knowing God’s Word, following God’s Word, loving Christ, and sharing in the burden of passing on their faith to the next generation. That sense of gratitude turned to a deep thankfulness for the rich heritage that had been given to me through Valley View. I thought back to the people who invested in me: Sunday school teachers, youth workers, friends, pastors, the men and women I so admired. It was because of their love for Christ and their faithfulness that from a young age I was memorizing Scripture and learning God’s Word.
As I was sitting in church giving thanks, I had this overwhelming sense of one phrase: ‘Go do that at Valley View.’ The immediate awareness of God’s leading was clearer than at any other moment in my life. The sense of that phrase was this: “The church that has meant so much to me and that has invested so much in my life, go there and invest and be a part of continuing that rich legacy.” Of all my ministry experiences, there has been nothing as personally enriching and rewarding as being a part of Valley View. It is such an overwhelming privilege and honor to serve as Pastor at a place that has meant so much to me.”
Two verses that have guided John’s life and calling are John 3:30, “He must increase, but I must decrease,” and, Luke 9:23, “And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”
Ministry Resources created by Pastor John
- Art of Marriage video conference and Small Group series. Associate video producer and workbook lead-writer.
- Stepping Up Small Group video series for men. Associate video producer and workbook co-writer.
- Passport2Purity: Project leader and workbook co-writer.
- Passport2Identity. Content director for both the young men’s and young women’s versions. Narrator for Young Men’s version. Access and download all five sessions here.
- True Identity. Author of book for teens near driving age. Listen to John talk about the book on FamilyLife Today (Parts 1, 2, and 3).
- John and Julie served as speakers on the Weekend to Remember conference team from 2015-2022. Watch this sample Weekend To Remember Message from John and Julie Majors
- John partnered with Seeds Family Worship to develop a 20 verse Scripture memory and family discipleship program for families and churches to use in the home to learn God’s Word together.